The leanest medium. Ready to use straight from the container. Dries overnight, depending on climate and thickness of paint application. Often an excessive amount of gum turpentine is used as a substitute for a ‘lean’ medium. Too much gum turpentine ‘denatures’ the oil paint in these lean layers. This leaves an underbound pigment when the paint dries which weakens the bond between the oil paint and the canvas.
Art Spectrum® Painting Medium No. 1 contains a balanced amount of Stand Oil and turpentine for a well-balanced, permanent paint layer. Also useful to clean and lessen absorbency of pre-primed canvas panels and stretched canvasses. (Wipe on and wipe off).
Art Spectrum® Artists’ Oil Painting Medium No. 1:
- A permanent artists’ painting medium.
- Easy to apply. Simply place a small amount in a container and dip in your brush when required.
- Rapid drying. It can dry (harden) overnight.
- Cost effective. It is cheaper than paint.
- Allows colour brilliance. Using this medium allows white ground to glow through.
Art Spectrum® Artists’ Oil Painting Medium No. 1 can also be used for:
- Sealing acrylic grounds. When applied direct to the acrylic ground it acts as a mild sealer and helps to prevent the ‘deadening’ effect of over absorption of the oil vehicle.
- Preparing a coloured ground. Simply add a small amount of oil paint to the medium.
- Underpainting. Can quickly lay down an under painting by rubbing with a soft cloth or one of the larger sized brushes.